Friday, January 22, 2010

The True Desired Result!

Today was awesome! I truly got the result I wanted when I started this project. I took the baby to Barnes and Noble for an outing and to look through their business marketing books (always happy to increase business!). As we were approaching the store an older gentleman opened the door for us. I thanked him and entered, then I heard "Wait a minute, I'll get the next one for you, too!". As he opened the door I got a Smile card out and handed it to him. I thought I saw him make a funny face as he looked at it, which is sort of what I expect. Afterall, how often does someone hand you something that looks like a business card for opening a door for them? :)

Anyway, we went in and began browsing, weaving in and out of the aisles of books. I glanced up a few minutes later because I saw someone enter the aisle and I wanted to make sure they could fit past the stroller. It was the man! He said "You are the person who gave me this, right?" as he held up his Smile card. I confirmed I was and he went on and on about how great it was and how he was just talking to his daughter about how awful people could be and then this happened! Since he liked this so much I gave him a few extra cards so he could send one to her and he could keep "playing", too!

You know, as much as I am trying to do my part by brightening up someone's day, it holds true that it really brightened mine, too. Positive reinforcement is 100% wonderfully reinforcing to the reinforced and the reinforcer!

Smile on! :)

3 comments:

  1. What a great day for both of you! It does make you feel good, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're giving me an urge to start my Smiley card here.

    By actually giving them out, it makes you more aware of the kindness of people. It's like when you start a photography course, all you see around you is 'framing' and what would make a cool picture. Or when you buy a car, your mind is more aware of all those Subarus out there!

    Great initiative!!

    hum....

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true! There are so many times when someone gets away from me too fast and I think "Oh, that was a card moment!". :) If you start a project, I'd love to hear about!

    ReplyDelete